Fixed term, Part time
Opened 177 days ago
Closes 3 May 2022
About the Role
The role is responsible for supporting research activities and contributing to the effective daily running of the Perron Institute laboratory and bioresources facility.
This role is offered on a part-time (0.5 FTE) 12 month fixed term basis.
- Provide assistance to research groups as needed.
- Assist with laboratory and bioresources facility inductions for new staff and students.
- Assist with the daily operations of the laboratory and bioresources facility.
- Prepare solutions, stains and media for use in the laboratory.
- Maintain an inventory and provide safe storage of laboratory equipment and materials.
- Service and clean laboratory apparatus/equipment, including the bioresources facility.
- Develop maintenance and standard operating procedures for laboratory equipment.
- Provide safe storage and disposal of chemicals and biological residues in accordance with regulations.
- Regular maintenance of ChemAlert database.
- Maintenance of stock for all shared laboratory and general consumables, and assist with ordering and purchases.
- Assist with training staff and students as needed.
- Assist with continuous improvement measures.
- Employ safe work practices in the laboratory in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Maintain MSDS documentation and records for chemicals held in the laboratory.
- Compile risk assessments on all chemicals and work practices.
- Ensure identified risks regarding equipment, resources and facilities are reported to appropriate personnel within the laboratory.
Skills and Experience
- Qualification in science (Bachelor of Science or equivalent).
- Experience in a PC2 laboratory setting.
- Knowledge and relevant legislation e.g. safety, storage and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Experience with training staff and students in laboratory techniques and processes.
- Practical knowledge of various laboratory equipment and techniques.
- Knowledge of laboratory first aid treatment and procedures.
- Highly developed organisation and communication skills.
- Ability to operate independently with a high level of initiative.
- Good IT skills and proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications.
Perron offers its employees the following benefits:
- As the Perron Institute is a charitable organisation, we are able to offer salary packaging benefits including up to $15,900 tax free annually (in addition to the tax free threshold).
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Central location.
- Collaborative and positive culture.